What does a mountaineering club do?
Volunteers organise outdoor activities year round including hiking, climbing, skiing, mountain biking trips, week long climbing/skiing/hiking camps, and various courses on basic outdoor skills. Our volunteers also maintain four cabins in the Bonnington Range and we are involved in trail development and maintenance.
The KMC publishes a quarterly newsletter which includes reports of recent trips and articles of general interest. We also maintain a library of mountaineering books and journals.
The club’s constitution says…
- The name of the Society is The Kootenay Mountaineering Club (The KMC).
- The purposes of the Society are to promote an interest in, and development of, mountaineering; to further fellowship in the mountains; and to further the conservation of the natural values in the mountains by:
- a. Organizing outdoor activities into the mountains, in particular, hiking, mountaineering and ski-mountaineering activities.
- b. Instructing and assisting individuals and families in the sports of hiking, mountaineering, and ski-mountaineering; and
- c. Expressing the views of the members of the Society on matters pertaining to the conservation of natural values in the mountains.